Airport of Villanova d’Albenga opened in 1922 in memory of
Clemente Panero, medal for valour and sergeant observer,who died in
the First World War.
runway, a compact lawn - was
about 900 mt. long ; at the two sides it was delimited
by orange metallic cones and it was
The runway in macadam was built in 1937: it was the first one in Italy
with an elastic paving. It was oriented eastwestward for 100°-
280 and was 1016X 60 mt. long.
From 1937 and up to the end of the Second World War the airport was
used as military base, headquarters of the Command of the 119th
In the years 1944-1945 it was completely destroyed by the retreating
German troops and in 1946 they began its reconstruction, though
limited. The runway became1140 mt. long (before it was 1016 mt. long)
and then the taxiing (800X 20 mt. long) was completed.
Between 1959 and 1960 the runway reached the present extension of 1560
The airport is about 97 ht. wide and lies to the northwest of Albenga
plain, in the territory of the Comune of Villanova d'Albenga.
Some events concerning the history of the airport are noteworthy.
The runway in macadam, built in 1937, was the first one in Italy with
an elastic paving. On 15th April 1947, the flight Rome Ciampino -
Villanova d'Albenga marked the renewal of trade after the armistice;
actually, among the passengers there were the Minister On. Brusasca
and the Undersecretary On. Pelle. In 1948 the "Consorzio dei
Fiori" (Flowers Cooperative) started its activity at the airport.
Founded in 1947, its aim was transforming the present military airport
into a civil airport for the transport of tourists, the freight of
flowers and agricultural products.
In the same year there was an upturn in industry, the planes used for
tests - made by Piaggio Aeronautic Society -
started to fly again, and the Aeroclub of Savona was
On 9th January 1950 the Interregional Meeting of Northern Italy
airports was held in Genoa; the Airport of Villanova d'Albenga asked
for a strenghtening of facilities (only in 1959/1960 the runway was
extended to 1560 mt.). On 20th September 195, during the 2nd Meeting
on Civil Aviation, the Italian Federation, after seeing the importance
of the Riviera economy, asked for the institution of regular services
between the airport of Villanova d'Albenga and the airports in Germany,
Denmark and Sweden, as well as those of Milan and Rome for the freight
of fresh cut flowers.
They also asked for a plane (a C.47, today a DC.3) ready to send
fllowers and agricultural products to Italy or to North-Europe.